Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rambling Tuesday

Bought a great album the other day, Gnarls Barkley's "St. Elsewhere." Filled with a sort of funky goodness and energy, we've listened to it just about a bazillion times recently. It doesn't keep up it's greatness all the way through, but the first half of the album alone is certainly worth the 9.99 on iTunes.

I also picked up the new Chili Peppers, which is so far, really good. Beyond Dani California, the first song, none of the songs individually are screaming at me, but the album as a whole is solid. I agree with John, and have to listen to an album a lot before I can determine how much I like it or not. Interestingly enough, everywhere I looked this album was 19.99, except at Target where it was 14.99. For whatever that's worth.

The other album that I've bought recently was the Raconteurs "Broken Boy Soldiers." Also seems like a pretty strong album. I'm guessing that most people who like Jack White (White Stripes) will like this, but again, I've got to give it some more listening before I can figure out how much I like it.

---

Oh, lest anyone think that I've forgotten about the NBA playoffs, well, I have. I've tried to watch the games, but they're just on too fucking late. I know that I'm a big wuss, but my attention span at 11 o'clock at night isn't up to the shenanigans of the Heat vs. Mavericks. That said, I may have to drink some coffee or something to watch the end of tonights game. Looks like Miami wasn't done after all, but I still think the Maverick's are the better team and will get this series to the deserved 7th game. When, well, it all depends on who shows up D-Wade or the big German. Shaq, sad to say, is a member of the supporting cast now.

---

A couple new t.v. shows have been watched in the casa de clementine. Two TNT shows, The Closer (starring Kevin Bacon's wife) and Saved, starring some guy who looks familiar but whose name I can't be bothered to look up. Both are worth watching, particularly if you like the cop and hospital shows that are on hiatus for the summer. Neither are going to be classics, but they have their points. In the case of Saved, the soundtrack is really solid, and the action and gimmicks interesting enough. The Closer, well, it's pretty much Law and Order Criminal Intent with a Southern Belle.

One show which surprised me how much I liked it was Man on the Street. It's on the Cooking Channel, and basically, as far as I can tell, is a guy just walking around interviewing people and cooking shit in weird ways. Doesn't sound very good, and sometimes it's not very good at all. A couple of episodes were surprisingly entertaining, like the one where the host teaches people to cook in campfires by wrapping everything they have in bacon and tin foil and throwing it in the fire. That's the sort of cooking I could handle.

No comments: