Monday, June 19, 2006

At long last, a weekend

We finally made it up to camp today. It got warm so early this year that it seems like we got up there late this year, but I guess mid-June is about the norm. Opened up the camp successfully, cleaning, running water lines, patching the roof, etc. Looks like everything made it through the winter ok, which is no sure thing. Some year's we've had trees take down electric lines, or open holes in the roof, or a porch over the water trying to get into the water.

This year? Some leaves in the yard and too-long grass were the biggest problems so far. After clean up and the like we proceeded to have a camp weekend, with lot's of yard games, card games, cheap beers, sausage, bacon, coffee, bug spray, badmitton, naps on the nap couch, cold water, inner tubes, wet dogfaces, some more beers, mimosa's, and books in adirondack chairs.

In other words, not a bad weekend. I even got a bunch of school work done, which is a good thing, as my productivity for this week is looking sketchy at best.

--

Apparently it's the 20th anniversary of the death of Len Bias. For those of you who are not Celtic's fans, this may not mean anything. But I remember this happening (along with the death of Reggie Lewis a few years later) and I remember it as absolutely shocking. Maybe that's why it inspires the people that write about it. Whatever the reason, people tend to write great columns about Len Bias, and this anniversary of his death is no different.

This is an archived version of Bill Simmons' article about Len Bias five years ago, and it reminds me of when Bill Simmons didn't spend most of his time whining, and actually wrote great columns.

Mike Wilbon is one of the guys on PTI, but first he was a columnist for the Washington Post, and he is a great writer.

---

I watched the second half of the US/Italy soccer game on Saturday, and I have to say... Finally a game worth watching! Both teams left it on the field, which is all you can ask for in a game at that level. I was particularly impressed with Reyna, once again he seemed to be in charge more than anyone else on the field. Someone who knows soccer more than I do will have to explain to me what was going on with the officials though. According to the guy announcing the game for ABC, the official who kept throwing out red cards was the spawn of Satan. Was this true? Or was it just that there really was a bunch of hard play deserving of penalties? The last red card seemed a bit tough to me, but I didn't see the first two, so it's hard to compare.

No comments: