Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Hopping all over the cable bandwagon

Goody appears to have remembered how to type! And he was paying $120 for cable? What the fuck? I had digital cable and hi speed internet through ahellphia, and it never got up above $90. Particularly once my boss agreed to pay for the internet portion of it since I work at home so much. Still, for once, Goody's point is valid.

Digital cable is a rip-off, and the regular "classic" package isn't much better. I mean, I like a good informatial as much as the next person, but come on. 15 channels of QVC? (On a very related note, somehow I don't yet own a Ginsu knife. Yet.) I do know people that like the home shopping network, but very few of them also want Sportscenter and MTV. (On another related note, why is there no retirement network? Or is this what QVC stands for? Quit Vorking, Corporation? Quick, Vhile Cicking? What?)

---

So why is it that there is no competition amongst cable companies? If you can read (I know, I said IF dummies) then you've read about how movie companies are going broke because people are staying home to watch tv instead of going to the movies. How hasn't this translated into some price competition? I mean, is it harder to get cable up to Maine than it is to get oil? Off the top of my head, in Orono I have the option of Dead River, RH Foster, Irving, Weber, Standard Oil, Murphy Bros... I'm sure there's more. Off the top of my head, I can name one competitor to Adelphia. DirectTV. Great fucking options people.

---

As far as Goody's idea about a la carte cable companies, great idea. Not the first time I've heard it... But great idea. In fact, that might be another blog, what channels would I choose...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the same should go for phone companies. i have one option, verizon. a regular package w/ no long distance is...

..wait for it..

..almost $50.

i'm so excited to get that bill every month i want to puke.

s said...

have you been drinking fire water too?

Anonymous said...

$120, yup. The company: suscom. Who the hell is suscom....exactly.
http://www.suscom.com/about/sitemap.php

Just happens to be that Brunswick is one of their 9 towns across america. Lucky me.

Anonymous said...

wow

How's your backdoor feeling?

JR said...

Whatever happened to Road Runner down in coastal Maine? They weren't too bad, and you didn't even have to have cable to get cable internet.

Anonymous said...

I have cable internet and no cable with Adelphia, and trust me, they still suck.